Hi all! I’m so excited to share that the spare room project, aka craft/guest/reading /my room is finally complete. Well, complete for now. There’s still a few things I’d like to do, but they can wait.
When I began this project in early September I gave myself some guiding rules. For full post, (read here). See below how I did.
- Use items already in my house; Move, repurpose furniture, be creative. Yes
- It has to provide bedding where at least one person could sleep. Yes
- Must be functional. I need to comfortably be able to craft and read. Yes
- Divot needs to have a place to sit by the window and look outside. Yes
- Get out of my green comfort zone. Yes
- Spend minimal dollars. Yes
I moved a love seat/sofa bed and ottoman into the room from our loft. Since it’s a deep blue/green color that helped me decide my colors which came from my hubby’s Tommy Bahama shirt.
The detailed breakdown….
Paint by Behr. It’s the first time I’ve used paint with primer built in and I liked it. I love the bright yellow and I definitely moved away form the green zone I was in. Pillows and black throw blanket from TJ Max. Black and white magazine holder from Michaels that I bought six months ago. Oh, and check complete on the location because as you can see Divot can still look out the window!
This corner of the room is my favorite area and really says me. My goal was to make it personal and I think I did. The storage cubes were from Michaels bought several years ago. I had a dozen of them and I took them apart (see before picture above) and created two separate areas for them.
I had an old bulletin board and when I couldn’t sleep Saturday night I created this look, which I’ll share in a post later this week. Everything on this back wall I either already had, it was given to me or I used my computer to print. Here’s my previous post on the the chair makeover. I am still looking for a plain black chair cushion. A friend gave me the had a green polka dot shade which I spray painted. Da ua love my jar of buttons. I do!! The jar came filled with peanut brittle and was a Christmas gift from a friend. The little wood carved bird came from ACE for $1.50.
My button wall art inspiration Pinterest.
I repainted a mirror I already had, see here. The 3 frames came from the dollar store. I framed scrapbook paper. fill. The picture above the cubes is from TJ Max. An old round black garbage container is holding all my cellophane wrap I use to make candy bouquets. I also gave the dresser pulls a coat of Rust Olem Black Hammered spray.
I apologize for the glare on these pictures. My friend took these fabulous pictures of sunflowers and used my home printer to make copies. I’ve had the frames stored in the closet for at least 10 years. No laughing!
Total cost at the end of the day including paint cost was approximately $140.00. I’ll break it down in another post. I feel pretty good at meeting my minimal cost rule. Future purchases incluse a better mattress and bedding for the fold out bed.
Over all I’m happy with it. My hubby told me it was definitely a female room so I know I succeeded in what I started out to do. Please let me know what you think.